SCSAR Member Spotlight
1. Name: Leah Cook
2. Hometown: Greer
3. How many years have you been with us? 1.5
4. What is your role with us? K9 Handler, Trainer
5. What is your occupation? I am a small business owner, and my company offers group and private dog training services for residents in the Upstate of SC.
6. What do you enjoy most about volunteering with us? My favorite thing about volunteering with SCSAR is the outstanding quality of its members. Passionate, caring people make all the difference.
7. What is the hardest part of the volunteer work you do with us?
The physical aspects of SAR are not what is “hard” for me. What I consider to be the hardest thing as a K9 Handler is knowing that my ability to prepare myself and my dog can be the determining factor on whether or not someone loses their life, or my dog getting seriously injured or worse. That weighs on me heavily all the time, and I always train with that at the forefront of my mind. If it was my mother who was lost out there, and God forbid she wasn’t found in time, would I be able to live with my training standards? I want to be able to say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I have done my absolute best!
8. What are your hobbies? Spending time with the people I love and doing anything dog related. Dogs are my life. I work with dogs for a living and most of my free time is also spent with them, be it in my own personal training, SAR, hiking, camping, boating, Jeep rides, etc.
9. What is your favorite travel spot? I’m a home body, but other than home I love going to Lake Jocassee.
10. What is your motto or personal mantra? I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.